WeeNix
54
·
600
·
over 13 years
WeeNix
54
·
600
·
over 13 years
A full report on the Young Ferns' 10-0 defeat of the Solomon Islands on Matchday One of the OFC U-17 Women's Championship can be found at www.sportswebsoccer.com
 
 
Cheers,
 
JR
Legend
1.7K
·
16K
·
over 14 years
a.k.a AJ13
520
·
1.5K
·
over 11 years
Is it purely coincidental that almost the entire squad are from up north or could NZF not really be bothered looking anywhere else?
Early retirement
3.1K
·
34K
·
over 14 years
Some of them have moved North to train with the squad.  Last U17's were the same.
Starting XI
0
·
2.7K
·
about 14 years
Hard News wrote:
Some of them have moved North to train with the squad.� Last U17's were the same.


Yes the problems of having the lack of elite end quality coaching around the country means a commitment to travel, train on a regular basis as a collective, instead of having training camps in the school holidays. But more importantly, there are stronger winter clubs in auckland for match playing. I think that is the factor in the NZF decision.
Legend
1.7K
·
16K
·
over 14 years
Hard News wrote:
Some of them have moved North to train with the squad.  Last U17's were the same.


Yes the problems of having the lack of elite end quality coaching around the country means a commitment to travel, train on a regular basis as a collective, instead of having training camps in the school holidays. But more importantly, there are stronger winter clubs in auckland for match playing. I think that is the factor in the NZF decision.
I dont think it is
Starting XI
0
·
2.7K
·
about 14 years
I thought that the Women's Football clubs in Auckland are generally competitively stronger than the rest of the country over the years. Although I may be wrong in assuming it is so. It's not my area.

Perhaps JR can comment better on this. He's the NZ Women's football expert.
Legend
1.7K
·
16K
·
over 14 years
they are. baut i dont see that as being a major reason behind it (basing camps in Akld). its partially only stronger beacuse they do have this policy.
Starting XI
0
·
2.7K
·
about 14 years
Well I was thinking purely on the players perspective in this case. The regular playing level has to be naturally higher. Although occasionally if the club is not up to it, it can bring bad habits until you are back training with better players.

The major reason is surely cost effectiveness.

Although I don't see why the training camps in the holidays can't get the same desired effect unless they are doing both the camp in holidays and keeping the regular weekly training. I suppose it means that they get to increase more training time together and avoid some of the bad club playing habits by less relative exposure.AllWhitebelievr2010-04-16 00:31:43
Phoenix Academy
25
·
430
·
about 12 years
AJ13 wrote:
Is it purely coincidental that almost the entire squad are from up north or could NZF not really be bothered looking anywhere else?
 
Its no coincedence NZF couldn't be bothered
 
Good luck to the girls and I hope they do well in Trinadad; but its hard to get excited about Auckland Invitational teams palmed off as 'New Zealand Teams'
Yeovil2010-04-24 22:49:42
Trialist
0
·
56
·
almost 14 years
10 of the 20 players who played the OFC Qualifying Tournament are from Auckland - i.e. the greater area of Auckland (incl North Shore). I don't see how that constitiutes an "Auckland Invitation team"!

A greater number than that are currently living and playing in Auckland as some have moved up to be able to train with the team regularly without the cost and hassle of regular travel. One actually moved to Hamilton!

The process of selecting the most-recent squad of 30 was extensive and involved looking at the best players from all of NZ, including "trials" in Christchurch and Wellington.

The head coach actually lives in Hamilton!

Perhaps non-Aucklanders look for conspiracy theories too often!
Trialist
0
·
98
·
about 11 years
well the perception from outside Auckland/upper north island is that the team selection is definitely "catered" towards northern teams shall we say...the coach has 6 players from his own club(Claudelands Rovers),in conjunction with the 10 from Auckland.So that's 16 out of the 20,despite teams like Canterbury,who traditionally do well in the national tournaments,having merely 2 players(one of whom is actually no better than 3-4 others from Canterbury).This is no north island beat up;but I find it hard to believe that All 16 are superior to players from other regions.As the one unattached player,Tessa McPherson says: "If you're not there, they can't look at you. So you've got more of an advantage if you're in Auckland".Is it "can't look at you" or "won't"?Furthermore,the "trials" you speak of are a joke:training drills through cones,skill sessions and and a knock around on the final day doesn't constitute a "trial",whereby players are asked to perform these skills 1v1 in a competitive match situation,which is where you find out whether a player has "it" or not:surely that is the barometer when assessing 20-40 talented players?.For players outside the South Island in particular,these camps/trials seem to be merely cosmetic,with most names already on the selectors team sheet...
Trialist
0
·
56
·
almost 14 years
We can all have our views, and they can differ.

However, you need to be careful with "facts". Yes, there were 6 current Claudelands players in the OFC qualifying squad, and the NZ team head coach coaches that team - but only 3 of those players were in that club team last year. 3 have joined this year - primarily from outside Hamilton and one (Hannah Wong) is from Christchurch.

Remember also that the original squad of 36 was chosen from last year's Federation tournament that all squad contenders presumably played at - good 1v1 competitive game situations.

The reality is that the Northern Premier Women's competition simply is the srongest women's competition in New Zealand - week-in-week-out. Only 6 of the current enlarged squad of 29 are not playing in it - you could argue that those players are at a disadvantage because they are playing in weaker competitions, rather than becasue they are not being "seen".

I don't hear too much moaning from within Auckland that the majority of the NZ-based All Whites going to the World Cup this year are from a Wellington team! It is simply accepted that the strongest team/competition will attract the best players and they will develop best in that environment.
Legend
1.7K
·
16K
·
over 14 years

Interested to know how many of the current u17 squad were getting regular starts in Nthrn Prem sides last year?

Phoenix Academy
25
·
430
·
about 12 years
Granted the Northern Premier league is the strongest in the country and should provide most players for national teams. However in the U16 Fed tournament last year Auckland finished 2nd last and US1 finished 3rd last (both behind Footballsouth). Down here there are more than a few eyebrows raised that there are 10 players these teams area and none from Footballsouth.
 
From the outside the trials did seem a shame. One of the girls I have coached was in Europe during the Chch trial, her parents were willing to fly her to the Auckalnd trials but were told she wasn't allowed. I personally rang the coach 5 times to convince him to give hera chance but got no reply, in an email he stated that he had seen the player in the U17's v Footballsouth game and was keeping an eye her. Given she wasn't in the country for that game I got the impression he just wasn't interested.
 
On the U17's v Footballsouth I was appalled to hear prior to the match that it was to be held at Albany as that was the U17's home venue. If Dunedin isn't a home venue for them is it a NZ side? I know none of the team came from here but it would have been great to see a national team play here.
 
Much has been made of Aaron Clapham's call up to the WC training squad and that his sister Sara isalready a full international. My question is why is it she was good enough to make the team 5 years ago but not now? Is it coincidence that she is now in Chch? By my reckoning the last Football Fern to be selected while living in the South Island was Zania Cogle almost 10 years ago.
 
I know of players who have made NZ sides, said no to moving north and then never hear from NZ football again. Our player base is to small to ignore a significant pool of talent. Women from down here who play other sports such as Cricket, Rugby and Basketball get the oppurtunity to play for NZ despite the local competitions being comparitively weak as well. We need to expand our player base not shrink it.
 
Anyway enough ranting I'm getting off topic, to be honest this is not just about the U17s, or even just womens football. Although it is more of problem in the womens game. I also do sincerly wish the team all the best but I just don't get as excited as I used too.
Trialist
0
·
56
·
almost 14 years
Feverish wrote:

Interested to know how many of the current u17 squad were getting regular starts in Nthrn Prem sides last year?



11 played in the NOrthern Premier League last season by my calculation, based on the current "wider squad" of 29, and going on my memory:

Every week: 4 (Bowen, Carlton, Dudley-Smith and Loye)

Often: 2 (Head and Patterson)

Occasionally: 5 (Boyce, Burrows, Mathews, Windsor and Seatter)

8 of these 11 were in the 20 that palyed in the OFC Qualifying tournament
Legend
1.7K
·
16K
·
over 14 years
4 isn't a lot. They should have come to play in Wellington where they could have played every week in a stronger competition than whatever the Akld reserve division is.
WeeNix
54
·
600
·
over 13 years
A tasty draw for the Young Ferns:
 
Japan - finished third in Asia
Venezuela - finished third in South America
The yet-to-be-determined European champions - one from Eire, Germany, Holland or Spain
 
 
Cheers,
 
JR
 
Woof Woof
2.7K
·
19K
·
about 14 years
Very passable.

Europeans will be tough, but Japan and Venezuela definitely beatable.
Starting XI
130
·
3.2K
·
about 12 years

Hope they get through, when does it start?

Oceanic62010-05-06 14:56:42
WeeNix
54
·
600
·
over 13 years
September 5 - 25.
 
They'll be heading overseas at some stage for some games.
 
The Junior Ferns squad will be announced today for their matches against the USA U-20s at the Home Depot Centre in LA - games are 11am on the 14th and 7am on the 16th, NZ time.
 
 
Cheers,
 
JR
 
Starting XI
130
·
3.2K
·
about 12 years
so what was the result in the game today?  I notice there is nothing on the NZF website.
Appiah without the pace
4.9K
·
18K
·
almost 14 years
Starting XI
130
·
3.2K
·
about 12 years
Starting XI
130
·
3.2K
·
about 12 years
WeeNix
0
·
900
·
almost 14 years
Can't be too hard on them, some players like Rosie White are at the U20 world cup right now.
Starting XI
130
·
3.2K
·
about 12 years
http://www.nzfootball.co.nz/index.php?id=11&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=664&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=10&cHash=1f86aef844

squad named for U-17 world cup in Trinidad and Tobago.


Early retirement
3.1K
·
34K
·
over 14 years
16-Jessica MATHEWS (Three Kings United)
 
Think she is the younger sister of the Mathews boys (Jake, Sam, Joel - is it ?).  Meant to be a bit good.
WeeNix
1
·
610
·
about 14 years
One problem we do have is that a few of the girls from down south didnt make the side partly due to the fact that they simply couldnt afford the travel costs of coming up to Auckland each week for training. I know of one mother of a player who came up to watch her daughter player for the under 17 side when they took part in the federation league only to find on the day her daughter wasnt going to be playing. That particular parent could only afford the one trip.
Not all parents are able to relocate to help their kids careers and not all kids at this age are comfortable having to move school and be away from their parents.
I dont know what the answer is but there is a problem here.

I coach the team most likely to come 2nd in the "reserve" league here in Auckland and the quality of the league is very broad with some very poor players and teams and a couple of good ones. Girls aspiring to play for NZ should be well above this division and I have no doubt the Wellington prem division is far higher quality than the Championship division here.
The problem in Auckland however is that there are too many quality girls sitting on the bench in very strong teams when they could be getting more game time with lesser Prem div teams. On the flip side those girls do get to train each week with internationals from the various age group NZ sides that are in the stronger squads.
Ultimately many of these problems will resolve themselves as the rapidly increasing quality of female players in NZ leads to stronger leagues with more teams.
WeeNix
1
·
610
·
about 14 years
Hard News wrote:
16-Jessica MATHEWS (Three Kings United)
�

Think she is the younger sister of the Mathews boys (Jake, Sam, Joel - is it ?).� Meant to be a bit good.


Just so you know NZ footy has her name wrong, its Jessy Mathews, she isnt happy they got her name wrong..... I was lucky enough to be her coach for about 5 years, last season was the first season I didnt get to coach her, missed seeing the little brat at training each week.
. Great kid, never missed a training session, never complained, always my best player when playing in a metropolitan league boys team for all those years. A huge buzz for me seeing her make the side, I got to coach her brother Jake as well.
Phoenix Academy
25
·
430
·
about 12 years
Stack wrote:
One problem we do have is that a few of the girls from down south didnt make the side ...
 
New Zealand Football only becomes a true national body when its time to collect player levvies.
WeeNix
1
·
610
·
about 14 years
Yeovil wrote:
Stack wrote:
One problem we do have is that a few of the girls from down south didnt make the side ...



�

New Zealand Football only becomes a true national body when its time to collect player levvies.


any suggestions?
WeeNix
1
·
610
·
about 14 years
sorry the " any suggestions"comment might come off as a bit obnoxious. We have a number of issues highlighted by this under 17 side and I have no idea as to how to fix some of them. I suspect one problem is that the Federation thing is flawed contributes to the top heavy look.
Phoenix Academy
25
·
430
·
about 12 years
Stack wrote:
Yeovil wrote:
Stack wrote:
One problem we do have is that a few of the girls from down south didnt make the side ...


New Zealand Football only becomes a true national body when its time to collect player levvies.


any suggestions?
 
Pick players on ability not location perhaps?
WeeNix
1
·
610
·
about 14 years
Yeovil wrote:
Stack wrote:
Yeovil wrote:
Stack wrote:
One problem we do have is that a few of the girls from down south didnt make the side ...



New Zealand Football only becomes a true national body when its time to collect player levvies.
any suggestions?



�

Pick players on ability not location perhaps?


Players were picked on ability but couldnt afford the travel costs to train with the bulk of the squad. Those players had to pull out because of this. The problem is funding not selection.
Also the geographical setup of regions is a problem, the federation regions dont make sense. Central Federation is spread across the widest part of the north island, its a mini version of the national problem.
So if levies are where NZ Football only becomes a true national body maybe we could look at the levies having designated allocations where they are spent. A proportion of all levies set aside to deal with travel needs of those who cant afford to travel to where national training camps are held.
At a club I coached at the committee took a small portion of club fees and put them in to a seperate fund to pay half of the training fees required of players making local rep sides. There were families in this clubs catchment area who couldnt afford the fees to take part in AFF's summer rep programs. This helped them.
NZ Football needs to look at this because we could be missing out on an absolute superstar making a national side because of economics.
Phoenix Academy
25
·
430
·
about 12 years
Stack wrote:
Yeovil wrote:
Stack wrote:
Yeovil wrote:
Stack wrote:
One problem we do have is that a few of the girls from down south didnt make the side ...


New Zealand Football only becomes a true national body when its time to collect player levvies.
any suggestions?


Pick players on ability not location perhaps?


Players were picked on ability but couldnt afford the travel costs to train with the bulk of the squad. Those players had to pull out because of this. The problem is funding not selection. 
Sorry that's bs.
A girl I coached was out of the country for the Sth Is trial but was willing to pay for her own travel to the Nth Is trial, but Edmonson wasn't interested, I personally called him 5 times but he never returned my calls.
There are plenty of other girls who have never been given an opportunity. There are coaches down here willing to invest time in players, and players who given an oopportunity would put the time in, there also used to be a trust that was set up to help fund female players. The sad thing is the only person at our club to be given a fair crack at national selection is off to the Rugby World Cup.
 
As for the levvies they are to clear debt. Specifying were levies go is flawed, if it went to to say travel other income such as sponsorship/pokie money just gets diverted away.
WeeNix
1
·
610
·
about 14 years
Its not BS because the girl you mention wasnt Edmonsons choice, which is quite different from what Im pointing out. I emailed him once about one particular player and got a quick reply. He didnt rate this player. I disagree with some of his choices, there are girls I know who in my opinion should be in the side as well.

The basic fundamental fact is that there were girls chosen who pulled out because they couldnt afford the travel costs, dont confuse that with the entirely different issue of coaches choice.

You havent come up with any solutions to the awful problem of financial ability having an impact on national selection. The selection of the player you mention from what you have said essentially comes down to Edmondsons opinion which is his opinion on ability and not related to location. He did choose others from down south who couldnt afford to take part. thats the big problem.

You’ll need an account to join the conversation!

Sign in Sign up