Trevor Zwetsloot (Melbourne Knights | Australia)

First Team Squad
120
·
1.9K
·
over 14 years

Trevor Zwetsloot signed by Werder Bremen

What do Wynton Rufer and Trevor Zwetsloot have in common? Signing for Bundesliga club Werder Bremen.

After breaking into the East Coast Bays Premier team as a 15 year old, Trevor spent last year in the United States on a sports scholarship and played in the MLS Youth League for IMG Academy, based in Bradenton, Florida. He was awarded a College Scholarship to the University of North Carolina, based in Charlotte.

Scouted, Trevor was offered and has signed a two year professional contract with Bremen and will play for their Under 19 side initially, hoping to progress to the Under 23 side. He will be aiming to follow in Wynton’s illustrious footsteps.

Congratulations Trevor from all at East Coast Bays and all the best for your future career.

and 1 other
Marquee
5.3K
·
9.5K
·
almost 10 years

What position does this guy play?

First Team Squad
120
·
1.9K
·
over 14 years
Phoenix Academy
64
·
380
·
about 14 years

Well done to him but having watched him over the years he must have improved 100% in past year as he was not a stand out in his own age group 

Starting XI
1.8K
·
4.4K
·
about 9 years

To make East Coast Bay at 15 is impressive... and the fact that he firstly got scouted by a USA MSL team then by Werder Bremen suggests is not simply luck.

Are they sure its a professional contract and not a youth one?

Phoenix Academy
64
·
380
·
about 14 years

MetalLegNZ wrote:

To make East Coast Bay at 15 is impressive... and the fact that he firstly got scouted by a USA MSL team then by Werder Bremen suggests is not simply luck.

Are they sure its a professional contract and not a youth one?

Is that IMG academy the one that parents pay huge dollars for ?  Big investment might pay off ? Don't think he was a starter or regular for Bays as he was playing youth football when 15 . Left the Waitakere Acadamy when not making their Nike cup side ( one that made it to Manchester), and went back to Bays . 

Marquee
2.7K
·
9.1K
·
over 6 years

With a surname being Zwetsloot does he have a EU passport?

TV
On probation
250
·
4.2K
·
almost 11 years
Is he even eligible? Born in USA. Has dual nationality - Netherlands & USA. Suggest unless his parents are kiwis the answer is no
Phoenix Academy
64
·
380
·
about 14 years

TV wrote:
Is he even eligible? Born in USA. Has dual nationality - Netherlands & USA. Suggest unless his parents are kiwis the answer is no

Dad was a Kiwi I seem to recall and Mom a foreigner

Life and death
1.7K
·
5K
·
over 14 years

Sunseeker wrote:

MetalLegNZ wrote:

To make East Coast Bay at 15 is impressive... and the fact that he firstly got scouted by a USA MSL team then by Werder Bremen suggests is not simply luck.

Are they sure its a professional contract and not a youth one?

Is that IMG academy the one that parents pay huge dollars for ?  Big investment might pay off ? Don't think he was a starter or regular for Bays as he was playing youth football when 15 . Left the Waitakere Acadamy when not making their Nike cup side ( one that made it to Manchester), and went back to Bays . 

Yes, IMG is not cheap, close to $NZ70,000 a year to attend. The place is like Disneyland, several sports academies there.
Starting XI
270
·
3.9K
·
over 14 years

From what I saw of him at Bays I did not rate him, but there are were a few people around the club closer to me saying he was a very good player

WeeNix
41
·
630
·
about 10 years

average at very best 

Starting XI
1.8K
·
4.4K
·
about 9 years

Because professional clubs like Werder Bremen sign average at best players, especially ones they've scouted overseas??

First Team Squad
250
·
1.8K
·
over 14 years

Must be the only person in the world under the age of 60 called Trevor.

Phoenix Academy
120
·
380
·
over 9 years

MetalLegNZ wrote:

Because professional clubs like Werder Bremen sign average at best players, especially ones they've scouted overseas??

I am a very average player, does that mean that Werder Bremen will sign me?

Woof Woof
2.7K
·
19K
·
about 14 years

Are we sure this is 100% correct? I can't find any trace of him in Bremen's U19 squad, and he doesn't seem to be recorded as having transferred in as yet.

Listen here Fudgeface
3.6K
·
15K
·
over 11 years

Only source I can find it this forum thread and the East Coast Bays website/facebook. Nothing from German sources at all.

First Team Squad
520
·
1K
·
about 8 years

Saw it posted by Waitakere FC twitter page.

Listen here Fudgeface
3.6K
·
15K
·
over 11 years

JamesBo wrote:

Saw it posted by Waitakere FC twitter page.

Not a credible enough source.
Woof Woof
2.7K
·
19K
·
about 14 years

It's also notable that there's no story about this on the IMG Academy website - and you'd have thought it'd be big news for them (especially considering that there is a piece on a gridiron graduate tipped to do well in his first season of NCAA football).

Marquee
5.3K
·
9.5K
·
almost 10 years

Remember when there was a rumour that Werder were going to sign Bertos?

Marquee
900
·
5.1K
·
about 14 years

There is a photo of the guy holding a Werder Bremen shirt and what appears to be a contract on the table: http://websites.sportstg.com/club_info.cgi?client=...

But after this shenanigans, https://en.as.com/en/2017/07/03/football/149907089... , that managed to get a few worked up ... so unless  there is more from Werder

Woof Woof
2.7K
·
19K
·
about 14 years

Who knows. But it's a fairly non-descript room, and no-one else in the photo.

Phoenix Academy
82
·
350
·
over 6 years
Perhaps a similar scenario to Daniel Gebreezihiger and Leeds?
Legend
2.3K
·
11K
·
about 14 years

Maybe a prank that's been taken seriously?

Aza
First Team Squad
110
·
1K
·
over 7 years

remind me this

Trialist
4
·
3
·
about 4 years

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

Life and death
1.7K
·
5K
·
over 14 years

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

Don't hold your breath mate......
Woof Woof
2.7K
·
19K
·
about 14 years

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

True. It does show that he has now been transferred in - it wasn't there when I looked last week.

It also shows his nationality as US and Dutch. Is he even eligible for NZ?

Listen here Fudgeface
3.6K
·
15K
·
over 11 years

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

Reading back, can't find anyone saying that he's not good enough to sign for a team like that? Only thing stated was that there was no confirmation from the club yet - which was true.

No apology from me.

Trialist
4
·
3
·
about 4 years

Not going to..life is too good.  It's just funny how people who heard from a friend, who heard from a friend's little brother become the authority on a subject.  I doubt Werder Bremen signed him from halfway around the world just because they had an extra uniform laying around.   By the looks, this kid has been playing at levels above his age for years.  So good on him and best of luck to him! 

Woof Woof
2.7K
·
19K
·
about 14 years

dontbeahater wrote:

Not going to..life is too good.  It's just funny how people who heard from a friend, who heard from a friend's little brother become the authority on a subject.  I doubt Werder Bremen signed him from halfway around the world just because they had an extra uniform laying around.   By the looks, this kid has been playing at levels above his age for years.  So good on him and best of luck to him! 

If you are close to this situation, do you know what his eligibility situation is? The transfer information shows his nationality as US and Dutch.

Trialist
4
·
3
·
about 4 years

I cant say for sure.     

First Team Squad
120
·
1.9K
·
over 14 years

Born here with US and Dutch parents - he has options

Marquee
2.7K
·
9.1K
·
over 6 years

If he qualifies (one person above states he was born in USA, another says NZ) you would think he would try the NZ football path. 

Much easier to break into our U20 side (compared to US or Dutch) and go to an age group group WC. Plus if he is ever good enough to make AWs, lure of Oceania getting automatic WC spot from 2026.

Furthermore he grew up & played his early football in Auckland?? - so in all likelihood he feels like a Kiwi anyway.

Anyway good luck to the kid at Bremen, hope he does well

Overseas
500
·
2.6K
·
about 14 years

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

Have you got a link to this? I can't find it on WB's site, only on transfermarkt. Cheers.

Legend
2.3K
·
11K
·
about 14 years

Remember when there was a rumour that Werder were going to sign Bertos?

pity they didn't.

love to see that footage of him skinning Cafu if anyone has it tucked away anywhere!

Legend
2.3K
·
11K
·
about 14 years

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

everyone congratulated him and then said it was strange there hadn't been official notification or more made of it, which now there has. 

But he's not eligible for NZ?

Marquee
2.7K
·
9.1K
·
over 6 years

martinb wrote:

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

everyone congratulated him and then said it was strange there hadn't been official notification or more made of it, which now there has. 

But he's not eligible for NZ?

Some people in the chain openly said they didn't rate him, and others also questioned whether whole thing was a hoax. Young Trev was  congratulated on his signing by most but not everyone.

Legend
2.3K
·
11K
·
about 14 years

coochiee wrote:

martinb wrote:

dontbeahater wrote:

Shows up on WB U19.   You guys have been pretty rough on the kid saying he is not that good to be true to being a liar/hoax.   Have you ever met him or seen him play?

Some apologies coming around anytime soon? 

everyone congratulated him and then said it was strange there hadn't been official notification or more made of it, which now there has. 

But he's not eligible for NZ?

Some people in the chain openly said they didn't rate him, and others also questioned whether whole thing was a hoax. Young Trev was  congratulated on his signing by most but not everyone.

Look back. It's one guy who casts shade and one more says he didn't rate him before, but others he knew did. Maybe not everyone single person, but the tone of the the thread was wow, kudos.

The questions, fairly enough, got asked when it doesn't show up all over the place, the way something this big for someone coming from NZ should. Now it's confirmed great!

But still wanna know...is he wanting/able to play for NZ?

You’ll need an account to join the conversation!

Sign in Sign up